I arrived in Berlin on a Sunday and this started my love affair with the Best Kept Secret City in Europe.
I’m kicking off my Awesome Berlin Series with my experience:
- Exploring Alexanderplatz Marketplace,
- Getting lost in U-Bhan (underground train),
- Attending a Catholic Filipino Sunday Mass in Bayernallee, and
- Experiencing the Hipster Flea Market at Mauerpark every Sunday.
Here’s a photo essay of my Sunday first impression of Germany…
The square (platz) was named in honor of Alexander I, Tsar of Russia, on his visit to Berlin in 1805. This was also the location of the biggest demonstration–about one million people–against the GDR regime, before the fall of the Berlin Wall. (source: www.berlin.de)
Everyone just relaxes, goes out on a bike, or hangs out in the park or square.
LOST IN U-BHAN
First, you need to know which line you need to take. I’m taking the U2 red line from Alexander Platz (A section) to get to the Neu-Westend (B-section).
(TIP: It’s best to get a multi-day ticket during your trip to save on cost. You can also use it for the buses.)
3PM FILIPINO MASS @ HOLY SPIRIT CHURCH, BAYERNALEE
For more info, visit http://filipinos-in-berlin.de/
MAUERPARK FLEA MARKET
(Tip: Don’t walk on the designated bike lane.)
Mauerpark transforms into one of Berlin’s best-loved flea markets, located along Bernauer Strasse every Sunday.
BERLIN MAUERPARK FLOHMARKT
Bernauer Strasse 63-64
Phone: 0176 29 25 00 21
For more info visit: http://www.mauerparkmarkt.de/
AWESOME BERLIN – The Best Kept Secret City of Europe Series:
- BERLIN: 10 Most Awesome Experiences for First Timers in Berlin!
- BERLIN: The Fall of the Berlin Wall–25th Year Anniversary! @VisitBerlin
- SUNDAYS IN BERLIN: Alexanderplatz, Bayernallee Filipino Mass, Mauerpark Flea Market & Lost in U-Bahn! (First Impressions of Germany)
- BERLIN BUNDESTAG: Käfer Breakfast at the Rooftop of the Reichstag Building!
- BERLIN: An Awesome Underground Supper Clubbing Experience in Berlin! @SupperClubbing
- BERLIN: Meeting SupperClub Founder at Hüttenpalast Caravan-Hotel in Hipster-District of Neukölln
- BERLIN: Hasir + Doner Kebab – The Best Turkish Food Outside of Turkey! @BarbaraWoolsey
- BERLIN: Meeting The Filipina Diplomatic Wife in Berlin over Berlin Chocolates @DiplomaticWife
- BERLIN: What I Learned from Berlin’s Best Bloggers at Max und Moritz Old Berlin Tavern?
- BERLIN: TEUFELSBERG – Abandoned Cold War-era Spy Station on top of the Devil’s Mountain!
- BERLIN: Markthalle Neun Street Food Market Thursdays @BerlinFood
- BERLIN: White Trash Fast Food – “Exotic food just like Mama used to make!”
- BERLIN: The TIM RAUE Experience – Best Chef in Berlin? (A Review)
- BERLIN: Motel One Berlin-Alexanderplatz (A Review)
- GERMAN VISA MANILA: How to Apply for Schengen Visa in the German Embassy in Manila?
Live an Awesome Life,
Disclosure: Our Berlin Trip was courtesy of the Foreign Ministry as part of the Blogger Visitors Program of the Federal Republic of Germany. I wrote this article with my own biases, opinions, and insights. Read Our Awesome Planet Complete Disclosure Policy here.
P.S. Meet the Southeast Asian Bloggers delegation and our guide, Matthias, from Goethe Institut during our Berlin adventure.