Markthalle Neun (Market Hall 9) is a popular street food and weekend market in Berlin, located at the gentrified Kreuzberg railway market hall–built on October 1, 1891.
Street Food Market Thursdays is a must-see for all foodies visiting Berlin if they want to get a taste of the emerging culinary landscape in the capital. Here’s a photo essay of our Markthalle Neun experience…
Camille enjoyed her first craft beer experience in Berlin. 🙂
It’s handmade soft egg noodle pasta in unconventional shapes, with organic cheese, topped with fried onions, fresh black pepper, and chives.
It’s a better version of mac & cheese because the pasta is pillowy soft and has a bigger surface area to absorb the creamy cheese. The fried onions and chives balance the flavor so that your palate is ready for the next bite.
Backschwein-Tenne Gömnigk http://www.backschwein-tenne.de/ by Bernd Schulz specializes in German Baked Pork Pig, which is similar to our Lechon except this one is baked.
Ordered a really good Manhattan (€7) made of Rye/Bourbon Whiskey, Vermouth Rot, with Angostura bitters.
24 hours in cider marinated beef steak
+ 11 hours ” Sous-vide ” (vacuum) cooked with
+ 30 hours Caramelized onions on homemade potato bread with pickled mustard seed and chives.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie with Vanilla Ice Cream,
- Peanut Butter Cookie Chocoalte Ic Cream,
- Pistachio White Chocolate with Strawberry Ice Cream, and
- Almond Cookie with Chocolate Sorbet
But the best dessert is from the Gabrielle Jones Artisan Ice Cream Truck! Check out http://www.jonesicecream.com/ for more info.
Gabrielle Jones’ Ice Cream uses egg-free ice creams made from fresh milk & cream, fresh fruits flavors, and chunks of meringue, cookie dough, and brownies. They don’t use any preservatives, no dehydrated powders, no food coloring, and no artificial flavors.
Thank you to our blogger friend, Puerling of Berlin Food Stories, for showing us around the market.
I recommend starting with the Allgäuer Kässpatzen and Heiden Peters Pale Ale.
Go for the 65 Stunden Cidre Steak and Backschwein-Tenne Gömnigk Baked Pork Pig as your main course.
End with Gabrielle Jones’ Bacon Cookie with Ice Cream for dessert. 🙂
Don’t miss the Markthalle Neun Street Food Market Thursdays the next time you’re in Berlin!
Markthalle Neun (Market Hall Nine)
Eisenbahnstrasse 42/43 – Pücklerstrasse 34 10997 Berlin, Germany
Facebook: Markthalle Neun
Thurdays: 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm – Street Food Market
Friday and Saturday: 10:00 am – 9:30 pm – Weekend Market
Sunday: 10:00 am – 8:00 pm – Sunday Breakfast Market
AWESOME BERLIN – The Best Kept Secret City of Europe Series:
- BERLIN: 10 Most Awesome Experiences for First Timers in Berlin!
- BERLIN: The Fall of the Berlin Wall–25th Year Anniversary! @VisitBerlin
- SUNDAYS IN BERLIN: Alexanderplatz, Bayernallee Filipino Mass, Mauerpark Flea Market & Lost in U-Bahn! (First Impressions of Germany)
- BERLIN BUNDESTAG: Käfer Breakfast at the Rooftop of the Reichstag Building!
- BERLIN: An Awesome Underground Supper Clubbing Experience in Berlin! @SupperClubbing
- BERLIN: Meeting SupperClub Founder at Hüttenpalast Caravan-Hotel in Hipster-District of Neukölln
- BERLIN: Hasir + Doner Kebab – The Best Turkish Food Outside of Turkey! @BarbaraWoolsey
- BERLIN: Meeting The Filipina Diplomatic Wife in Berlin over Berlin Chocolates @DiplomaticWife
- BERLIN: What I Learned from Berlin’s Best Bloggers at Max und Moritz Old Berlin Tavern?
- BERLIN: TEUFELSBERG – Abandoned Cold War-era Spy Station on top of the Devil’s Mountain!
- BERLIN: Markthalle Neun Street Food Market Thursdays @BerlinFood
- BERLIN: White Trash Fast Food – “Exotic food just like Mama used to make!”
- BERLIN: The TIM RAUE Experience – Best Chef in Berlin? (A Review)
- BERLIN: Motel One Berlin-Alexanderplatz (A Review)
- GERMAN VISA MANILA: How to Apply for Schengen Visa in the German Embassy in Manila?
Live an Awesome Life,
Disclosure: Our Berlin Trip was courtesy of the Foreign Ministry as part of the Blogger Visitors Program of the Federal Republic of Germany. I wrote this article with my own biases, opinions, and insights. Read Our Awesome Planet Complete Disclosure Policy here.
P.S. Planning to do a cross-collaboration between the Markthalle Neun and the Mercato Centrale market here in Manila, where we’ll do a vendor exchange for a few weekends. Let’s see!