Finally, it’s out! I’m excited to be part of the FaMEALy Matters Book (50-Plus Stories of Everyday Intimacy at the Family Dining Table) compiled by Francis Kong.
It was indeed a worthwhile effort to compile the inspirational family dining stories of successful Filipinos of our generation. You have to read this book 🙂
The FaMealy Matters book was conceptualized by Monde Nissin as part of the Kainang Pamilya Mahalaga advocacy which started in 2007. The advocacy reminds Filipino families of the importance of having shared meals together.
“Meal times provide opportunities for members of the family to sit around one table, share the same food, and listen to each other’s stories, and because many Filipino families today are guilty for taking such moments for granted, we at Monde Nissin wish to remind them of the joys that come with sharing meals together, through Famealy Matters.” – Gen Aquino, Monde Nissin Media and Public Relations Manager.
The campaign stems from actual research showing that children who experience regular and frequent family dinners adjust to and cope better with situations and realities faced by their generation today – from difficulties in school, to destructive behavior such as alcohol and drug use, smoking and early sexual behavior.
To institutionalize the campaign, President Benigno Aquino III declared the 4th Monday of September as “Kainang Pamilya Mahalaga Day” via Presidential Proclamation 326 (January 2012).
“One of the meaningful traditions of Filipinos is the common family meal where all members of the familyare present to signify their unity and thanksgiving for God’s abundant blessings. Having a common family meal encourages parents to stay connected with their children and understand the challenges they face.” – President Benigno Aquino III
Don’t forget to eat out with the family on September 24, 2012 🙂
I’m honored to contribute our own family eating story and share the motivation behind Our Awesome Planet. Don’t forget to check out Famealy Matters Story #20 on page 85 🙂
Here’s an excerpt from the “Our Awesome Family Dinners”:
Someone asked me this question once: “Why do you always take pictures of the food before you eat it?“
My answer: “Each eating occasion is a social event, and the food is a witness to its awesomeness. My photo of it serves as a memory for every lesson, every compliment, every tsismis, every moment shared during that meal—especially meals shared with family.“
Meet the FaMealy Matters (50-Plus Stories of Everyday Intimacy at the Family Dining Table) Contributors:
- BOY ABUNDA is an award-winning television host at ABS-CBN, a talent manager, and a celebrity endorser.
- CONG. JUAN EDGARDO ‘SONNY’ ANGARA JR. is a Representative from Aurora province.
- KRIS AQUINO, a daughter of former President Corazon ‘Cory’ Aquino and former Senator Benigno ‘Ninoy’ Aquino, is a television host, actress, celebrity endorser, and mother to two kids.
- PAUL AQUINO is the Honorable Consul of Malta, a director of East West Bank and SkyCable, and a consultant of Energy Development Corp.
- CATHY S. BABAO is a children’s advocate and grief counselor and a columnist in the Lifestyle section of Philippine Daily Inquirer.
- CHRISTINE BERSOLA-BABAO is the creative director of www.parenTIN.tv, a TV host, and a children’s book author.
- USEC. ALICIA BALA is with the Policy and Programs Dept. of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).
- JOJO Y. BALDO is a husband, father, pastor, trainer, and a Christian.
- BOBBY BARREIRO is EVP and COO of TV5.
- VP JEJOMAR ‘JOJO’ BINAY is the Vice President of the Republic of the Philippines
- MONIQUE BUENSALIDO is the associate publisher and deputy editor for Travel magazine, a contributing writer for Philippine Star, and a Carlos Palanca awardee.
- MARIVIC NG CAJUCOM-UY is a wife, mother, and marketing director of Noodles and Seasoning, Monde Nissin Corporation.
- DR. QUEENA N. LEE-CHUA is a full-time professor, a columnist in the Learning section of Phil. Daily Inquirer, an author, and a sought-after speaker.
- BILLY CRAWFORD is a recording artist, a television host, and a celebrity endorser.
- JOHN LLOYD CRUZ is a film and television actor at ABS-CBN and a celebrity endorser
- SHARON CUNETA is a multi-awarded recording artist, actress, and television host at TV5.
- JOCOT DE DIOS is CEO of GE Philippines.
- RICA DE JESUS is the general manager of Golden Spoon Philippines, a director of Jaric Marketing, Inc., and a popular blogger.
- JUN DE LEON is a renowned and much-sought-after professional photographer.
- ANTON DIAZ is the man behind the top travel blog, ourawesomeplanet.com and co-founder of Mercato Centrale Food Markets.
- ROXANNE ANG FARILLAS is the managing director of fashion retail store, Plains & Prints.
- SARAH GERONIMO is a recording artist, film actress, and host of a TV musical show.
- CHIQUI ESCAREAL-GO is president and chief service strategist of Mansmith and Fielders, Inc.
- CONG. LUCY TORRES-GOMEZ is Representative of the 4th District of Leyte, a TV host, a columnist in the Life Section of Phil. Star, and a wife and mother.
- ATTY. FELIPE GOZON is the chairman and CEO of the GMA-7 Network.
- RAYMUND ISAAC is a popular celebrity and fashion photographer.
- MENARDO ‘Butch’ G. JIMENEZ JR. is the senior vice president of PLDT.
- SECRETARY RAMON R. JIMENEZ JR.is the Secretary of the Department of Tourism.
- ATTY. ALEX LACSON is a partner in Malcolm Law; the founder and chairman of the KaBayanihan Foundation; and the author of the local bestseller, “12 Little Things Every Filipino Can Do To Help Our Country”.
- WILSON LIM is the founder and president of retail chain, Waltermart.
- ELIZABETH LOLARGA is an author, a poet, a freelance writer-editor, a part-time high school teacher, a mother and grandmother, and a partner to a fellow journalist.
- ERNIE LOPEZ is president and CEO of ABS-CBN Publishing, Inc.
- EUGENIO ‘GABBY’ LOPEZ III is chairman and CEO of the ABS-CBN Network.
- Secretary Bro. Armin LUISTRO is the Secretary of the Department of Education and a Lasallian Brother.
- EDU MANZANO is an actor and television host.
- EDRIC MENDOZA is an entrepreneur, a television host, and a director of TMA Homeschool.
- LUIS OQUINENA is the executive director of Gawad Kalinga.
- Dr. LYDIA OROSA, DDM, is a member of a family of dentists, with clinics at the Medical City and on Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.
- XANDRA RAMOS-PADILLA is the National Book Store merchandising director for Books and the general manager of Crossings Department Store.
- DAPHNE OSENA-PAEZ is a television host and producer, a business woman, a blogger, and a wife and mother.
- SEN. FRANCIS ‘KIKO’ PANGILINAN is Chairman of the Senate Committee on Agriculture and Food and the Senate Committee on Social Justice and Rural Development
- ROBINA GOKONGWEI-PE is president and COO of the Robinsons Retail Group.
- DR. CECILIO PEDRO is president and CEO of Lamoiyan Corporation.
- NINA DAZA-PUYAT is the editor-in-chief of Appetite magazine, an author, a television host, and a daughter of iconic chef and restaurateur, Nora Daza.
- IGE RAMOS is an award-winning book designer, food writer, and editor-in-chief of Sansrival magazine (published by Rustan’s Supermarket)
- ARDY ROBERTO is an author and co-author of seven books; the CEO and cofounder of Salt & Light Ventures and Inspire Leadership Consultancy; a husband and father.
- DEBBIE SY is the executive director of SM Foundation, Inc.
- ARCHBISHOP LUIS ANTONIO G. TAGLE is the Archbishop of Manila, member of the Congregation for Catholic Education, presenter of The Word Exposed, and co-presenter of ABS-CBN’s Kape’t Pandasal.
- ATTY. ADEL TAMANO is a senior partner of Kapunan Tamano Villadolid & Associates and the vice president of Public Affairs and Communication of The Coca Cola Export Company.
- PETER TAN-CHI is the Senior Pastor of Christ’s Commission Fellowship
- CRICKETTE TANTOCO is the marketing and communications director of Payless Shoe Source.
- CHRIS TIU is a professional basketball player, a television host, and an entrepreneur.
- TESSA PRIETO-VALDES is an interior designer, philanthropist, entrepreneur, a television and event host, and a columnist for Philippine Daily Inquirer.
- MARCH VENTOSA is the managing director of Studio 23 and CPI.
- DR. EMILIO C. YAP III is the executive vice president for advertising at Manila Bulletin Publishing Corp.
- FLORABEL YATCO is a chef patron and restaurateur.
- JJ YULO is with Pinoy Eats World and is a freelance food writer.
- AUDREY ZUBIRI is a wife, mother, a businesswoman, and a parenting columnist in the Lifestyle section of Phil. Daily Inquirer
“Famealy Matters is a touching collection of personal narratives that make us realize how the gratification and benefits we get from sharing meals with the family is worth it.” – Francis Kong, FaMEALy Matters Publisher
Thank you to Francis Kong for compiling this powerful book! Thank you for inviting us to be part of the FaMEALy Matters movement 🙂
Don’t forget to buy this heart warming book for your family! It’s a great gift this Christmas specially for your friends and immediate family members who are abroad 🙂
FaMEALy Matters (P549.50)
50-Plus Stories of Everyday Intimacy at the Family Dining Table
Compiled by Francis J. Kong
Available at National Book Store, Powerbooks, or
Buy directly via Anne Cristobal of Success Options Inc.
Telephone: +632 727-0291
Mobile: +63 920 925-3348
Live an Awesome Life,
Follow @antondiaz and Like our Official Facebook Page: Our Awesome Planet 🙂
If you have tips on awesome food and travel destinations, please email me at email@example.com.
Full Disclosure: I wrote this blog post myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I have no business relationship with any company mentioned in this post or any organization promoting it. I was invited to contribute to the book. As a policy, I don’t accept advertising from food and travel places we feature in the blog.
P.S. Thanks to Shellane for the relentless effort in bringing this book to life 🙂
P.P.S. It was awesome to see the performance of Joseph the Sand Artist from Talentadong Pinoy during the launch of the FaMEALy Matters Book 🙂
3 thoughts on “[FAMEALY MATTERS] The Secret to Success: Eating Intimately with the Family”
I want to get a copy of this book. I think that book describes the family style of eating their breakfast, lunch, and dinner in Philippines. I think that book describes also the family style of serving their dishes during their special occasion like birthday, baptism, wedding, anniversary, graduation, and so on. “Wala nang sasaya pa sa hapag kainan ng mga Pinoy!”
wow! amazing ,a family happily eating togethter.. i also want to have a copy of that book.
Family really matters to most Filipinos anywhere in the world and even if some members of their family are not with them when eating still they hope that someday they will be together.