I must admit, when I saw Teufelsberg in the itinerary as the culminating activity for our last day in Berlin, I expected it to be boring.
But the charm of visiting the once abandoned building that has been turned into one of the largest outdoor gallery parks grows on you, then you start to appreciate how different Berlin is. (Read “How Berlin has ruined living anywhere else“.)
Here’s a photo essay on our tour of Teufelsberg…
“A Cold War relic lies abandoned on top of a mountain made of rubble, built over a Nazi college that couldn’t be destroyed after the end of World War II. The gates of the former US spy station are locked and secure; its perimeter sealed by an uncompromising high fence, an angry crisscross mesh of wires that clearly imply: “Eintritt Verboten!”
“Welcome to Teufelsberg, literally “Devil’s Mountain,” a hill reaching 114.7 meters above sea-level, made from an estimated 12 million cubic meters of war rubble (apparently about 400,000 bombed houses) pushed together in the north of the Grunewald forest in West Berlin.”
Read More about the Story of Teufelsberg (Abandoned spy station)
…with another one on the right side. It’s quite beautiful to see these illuminated at night by a fire dance performance.
Check out the Ambush blog for more information.
All guides and tours begin at the gate of the former Field Station Berlin Teufelsberg at Teufelsseechaussee 10, 14193 Berlin.
You can visit http://berliner-teufelsberg.com/ for more info on a guided tour of Teufelsberg.
AWESOME BERLIN – The Best Kept Secret City of Europe Series:
- BERLIN: 10 Most Awesome Experiences for First Timers in Berlin!
- BERLIN: The Fall of the Berlin Wall–25th Year Anniversary! @VisitBerlin
- SUNDAYS IN BERLIN: Alexanderplatz, Bayernallee Filipino Mass, Mauerpark Flea Market & Lost in U-Bahn! (First Impressions of Germany)
- BERLIN BUNDESTAG: Käfer Breakfast at the Rooftop of the Reichstag Building!
- BERLIN: An Awesome Underground Supper Clubbing Experience in Berlin! @SupperClubbing
- BERLIN: Meeting SupperClub Founder at Hüttenpalast Caravan-Hotel in Hipster-District of Neukölln
- BERLIN: Hasir + Doner Kebab – The Best Turkish Food Outside of Turkey! @BarbaraWoolsey
- BERLIN: Meeting The Filipina Diplomatic Wife in Berlin over Berlin Chocolates @DiplomaticWife
- BERLIN: What I Learned from Berlin’s Best Bloggers at Max und Moritz Old Berlin Tavern?
- BERLIN: TEUFELSBERG – Abandoned Cold War-era Spy Station on top of the Devil’s Mountain!
- BERLIN: Markthalle Neun Street Food Market Thursdays @BerlinFood
- BERLIN: White Trash Fast Food – “Exotic food just like Mama used to make!”
- BERLIN: The TIM RAUE Experience – Best Chef in Berlin? (A Review)
- BERLIN: Motel One Berlin-Alexanderplatz (A Review)
- GERMAN VISA MANILA: How to Apply for Schengen Visa in the German Embassy in Manila?
Live an Awesome Life,
Disclosure: Our Berlin Trip was courtesy of the Foreign Ministry as part of the Blogger Visitors Program of the Federal Republic of Germany. I wrote this article with my own biases, opinions, and insights. Read Our Awesome Planet Complete Disclosure Policy here.
P.S. The story of Teufelsberg is quite interesting in light of the continuing NSA spying scandal.