The Berlin Wall or Berliner Mauer is a barrier built by the German Democratic Republic (GDR) that separated East Germany from West Germany from August 13, 1961 until its fall on November 9, 1990. It prevented the defection of the people from East to West and instantly separated the families upon its erection.
It’s amazing to see Berlin 25 years after the fall of the wall, reflect on this recent history, and celebrate this triumph with our brothers and sisters in Berlin!
It’s chilling to see the original wall that once separated Berlin into East controlled by the GDR and West in the Berlin Wall Memorial.
Matthias, our guide who was based in East Germany, recalled how the wall separated him instantly from his family. It was a very emotional moment listening to his first-hand account on what happened the days leading to the fall of Berlin Wall.
(Note: Get Matthias Lehmphul as your guide in your next trip to Berlin)
Watch this historical footages of the days leading to The Fall of Berlin.
Watch how Berlin has progressed 25 years later.
This 1.3km international memorial for freedom is located on Mühlenstraße in Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg area.
Visit Mauer Park specially on Sundays. Read related post: SUNDAY IN BERLIN: My First Impressions of Germany
Border of Light. To commemorate the 25th anniversary of the peaceful revolution and the fall of the Wall, Berlin will release 8,000 illuminated balloons with helium on poles tracing the 15km Berlin Wall between Bornholmer Straße and the Oberbaumbrücke.
The celebrations will focus on those persons who worked courageously for the freedom of the
East German people, a movement which eventually led to the opening of the inner-German
border on the night of 9 November 1989. The stories of these East German citizens will be told
with 100 information boards along the 15 km stretch of the light installation.
For more info, visit the official website: http://www.visitberlin.de/
Congratulations to the 25th-year anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall!
AWESOME BERLIN – The Best Kept Secret City of Europe Series:
- BERLIN: 10 Most Awesome Experiences for First Timers in Berlin!
- BERLIN: The Fall of the Berlin Wall–25th Year Anniversary! @VisitBerlin
- SUNDAYS IN BERLIN: Alexanderplatz, Bayernallee Filipino Mass, Mauerpark Flea Market & Lost in U-Bahn! (First Impressions of Germany)
- BERLIN BUNDESTAG: Käfer Breakfast at the Rooftop of the Reichstag Building!
- BERLIN: An Awesome Underground Supper Clubbing Experience in Berlin! @SupperClubbing
- BERLIN: Meeting SupperClub Founder at Hüttenpalast Caravan-Hotel in Hipster-District of Neukölln
- BERLIN: Hasir + Doner Kebab – The Best Turkish Food Outside of Turkey! @BarbaraWoolsey
- BERLIN: Meeting The Filipina Diplomatic Wife in Berlin over Berlin Chocolates @DiplomaticWife
- BERLIN: What I Learned from Berlin’s Best Bloggers at Max und Moritz Old Berlin Tavern?
- BERLIN: TEUFELSBERG – Abandoned Cold War-era Spy Station on top of the Devil’s Mountain!
- BERLIN: Markthalle Neun Street Food Market Thursdays @BerlinFood
- BERLIN: White Trash Fast Food – “Exotic food just like Mama used to make!”
- BERLIN: The TIM RAUE Experience – Best Chef in Berlin? (A Review)
- BERLIN: Motel One Berlin-Alexanderplatz (A Review)
- GERMAN VISA MANILA: How to Apply for Schengen Visa in the German Embassy in Manila?
Live an Awesome Life,
Disclosure: Our Berlin Trip was courtesy of the Foreign Ministry as part of the Blogger Visitors Program of the Federal Republic of Germany. I wrote this article with my own biases, opinions, and insights. Read Our Awesome Planet Complete Disclosure Policy here.
P.S. A souvenir photo in the Berlin wall with Camille Co with Atchie Charlotte