For the entire month of October 2015, the Ministry of Mushrooms will be advocating their 3rd “Mushrooms Go Pink PH”, a breast cancer awareness campaign that aims to educate people about the potential health benefits of eating mushrooms!
In 2013, Marco Lobregat, founder of Ministry of Mushrooms, collaborated with 50 highly praised restaurants and food brands in the Philippines. The goal was to encourage the creation and serving of more dishes using locally grown mushrooms, all the while helping raise cancer prevention awareness and contributing funds to the ICanServe Foundation.
Ministry of Mushrooms works with a group of young farmers such as John Regie Jaminal, Ivan Bagatsing of Perfect Mushrooms, and Billy Joel Santos Kabutehan Farms, a Gawad Kalinga cooperative that ensures the availability of locally grown mushrooms for the Mushrooms Go Pink PH campaign this October.
To learn more, see the list of hero restaurants and dishes, check out: www.mushroomsgopinkph.com
(Stockton Place’s portabello mushrooms, caramelized onions, ricotta, and puff pastry with asparagus purée on the side)
According to New York Times bestselling author of “Eat to Live” and “Super Immunity”, Joel Fuhrman, M.D., “white, cremini, Portobello, oyster, maitake, and reishi mushrooms each contain a number of bioactive compounds with the potential for anti-cancer activity.
These mushroom phytochemicals have antiangiogenic, antiproliferative, and other anti-cancer effects, which have been studied in relation to stomach, colorectal, breast, and prostate cancers.” Dr. Furhrman is a board-certified family physician whose nutritional research is dedicated to preventing or reversing disease through food and other natural methods.
The International Agency for Research on Cancer claims that Breast Cancer is one of the leading causes of death in women. While more than a million women unknowingly develop it, about 500,000 of them die from it annually. Filipina women, according to the GMA Network, have one of the highest incidences of Breast Cancer in Asia.
The Ministry of Mushrooms claims that mushrooms are a super food full of vital nutrients like Vitamin D, B1, B2, B3, Selenium, and Potassium. Not only are they low on calories, but they can also help increase our resistance to infection. In addition, evidence supports that these health benefits can potentially thwart breast cancer, albeit incremental.
“Through the campaign we hope to see the city filled with mushrooms to remind us that the food we cherish can also be what saves our lives and lives of those we love around us,” shares Lobregat.
This year, there are 74 restaurants and food establishments that will be joining the Mushrooms Go Pink PH movement. Go on a meaningful “shroom trip” by trying out some of the delicious mushroom dishes October has to offer, all the while donating 10% of the proceeds to Breast Cancer research! Don’t forget to snap some pictures of all your mushroom dishes with the hashtag— #MushroomsGoPinkPH
Let’s go on a Shroom Trip for a Cause this October!
Mushrooms Go Pink PH
Click here for the list of participating restaurants and their mushroom dishes.
Live an Awesome Life!
Team Our Awesome Planet
Disclosure: We went to one of the participating restaurants, Stockton Place, and interviewed Ministry of Mushrooms founder, Marco Lobregat. We wrote this article with our biases, opinions, and insights. Read Our Awesome Planet Complete Disclosure Policy here.
P.S. You should try out Stockton Place’s Mushroom Soup and Mushroom Tart on your first Shroom Trip!
COMPLETE LIST OF RESTAURANTS AND THEIR DISHES
Oyster Mushroom Tempura
Pizza Con Funghi with Roasted Garlic
Mushroom Risotto with Grilled Prawns
Aracama Filipino Cuisine
1. Mushroom Lumpia Frito – Bangus tinapa, vermicelli, green labuyo dip
2. Mushroom Adobado Ensalada – Mushroom adobado, grilled beef, pickled shallots, kesong puti
3. Spicy Ginataang Mushrooms – Fresh coconut milk, green beans, aromatic red chili sauce
Mushroom Stew with Mashed Potato
1. Sauerkraut Mushroom Pierogi
2. Cabbage Mushroom and Truffle oil Pierogi
Backyard Kitchen + Grill
Truffle Mushroom Flatbread with fresh Ricotta and Arugula
Baguio Craft Brewery
Baits By Chef Joseph Margate
Pink Tagliatelle with White Pork Ragu and Fried Mushroom
Mushroom, Guancialle, Fontina and Thyme Pizza
1. Pizza al Funghi
2. Pasta Arabita
Garlic Shiitake Mushrooms served with Tofu & Roasted garlic poured with Coconut Adobo sauce & Malunggay pesto
Café K – Hotel Kimberly Manila
Rey’s Shrimp Mushroom Penne
Papa Smurf, a rustic-man f00d dich
[dish not listed]
Pink Mushroom Paella
Cheesecakes by Guy
1. Spinach, Mushroom and Goat’s CheeseOomelette
2.Bacon, Mushroom and Cheddar Omelette
3. Smoked Salmon, Mushroom, Parsley and Cream Cheese Omelette.
1. Chicken Mushroom Quesadilla
2. Mushroom Quesadilla
1. Setas Mixtas Saltado Shitake mushroom
2. Oyster mushroom, Button mushroom, Onions, Tomatoes, Fried Potatoes
3. Aji amarillo
Chorizo Mushroom Sauce
Tom Yum Mushroom Soup
Crisp on 28th
Crisp Parmesan French Toast – sauteéd Mushrooms / Sous Vide Egg
Mushroom Set Menu: Mushroom Spring Rolls, Fresh Mushroom Soup, Mushroom Ravioli
EchoStore (Salcedo, Centris, Davao, Cebu)
1. French Mushroom Omelet ( ECHOcafe Salcedo)
2. Warm Mushroom Arugula Salad (Davao)
3. Open-faced Mushroom Toast (Centris)
4. Mushroom Burger (Cebu)
Mushroom Sisig Meal
Truffled Mushroom Pate
Goat Cheese and Three Mushroom Pizza with caramelized onions
Carbonara with Truffle il and Poached Egg
Gino’s Brick Oven
Pizza Lemon Mushroom Fettuccine
1. Mushroom Pizza with Truffle Oil
2. Arroz a la Cubana with Mushrooms
Hatch 22 Burger ( Sauteèd Mushroom / Goat’s Cheese / Bacon /Parmesan Fries)
Hotel Kimberly Tagaytay
Chicken Mushroom Ragout
I Am Kim
Mushroom Bulgogi Bap Shitake, Oyster and shimaji on Brown Rice, sous vide egg, nori and alfalfa. Mix with our house made Gocuchang and it good to go!
Rice Bowl: Grilled oyster mushrooms, carrots, red onions, boiled egg, kimchi, cilantro, sesame seeds on a bed of red rice with a Korean inspired dressing.
This year we are going for a heartier flavor with our warm red rice bowl, aiming to prove that vegetarian dishes can hold their own and be as flavourful as the rest of them.
The kimchi is known for its health benefits as fermented food provide lactobacilli which help aid digestion. Oyster mushrooms are high in iron and potassium, and a wonderful plant based source of B Vitamins.
Regular size: P
Half size: P
Salad wrap: P
1. Enoki Mushroom Teppanyaki
2. Shitake No Tsutsumiage
Mixed Mushroom Napoleon
La Cocina de Tita Moning
1. Wilted Spinach and Mushroom Salad with Blue Cheese
2. Organic Lettuce Soup with Mushrooms
3. Homemade Green Vegetable Ravioli with Mushrooms, Arugula, and Caramelized Walnuts
4. Beef Fillet with Malagos Cheese, Herb Butter, and Mushroom Jus
5. Mushroom-poached Spinach Stuffed Spring Chicken with Soup and Brown Rice
Revuelto de Setas y Gambas
Mushrooms Al Ajilio
1. Forest Truffle Chicken
2. Truffle Mushroom Burger
Le Petit Souffle
1. Kinoko Frittes – Enoki and oyster mushroom fries served with tonkotsu mayo and matcha salt
2. Mushroom and Raclette Toast – Shimeji, porcini and button mushrooms with mornay raclette sauce and side greens
3. Porcini Créme Bruleé – served with vanilla sugar burried yolk and maple mushroom granola
Lucia Lucia – Linguini with Mixed Mushrooms and Black Truffle
Mushroom Truffle Cream
Nolita Wild Mushroom Pizza
Nonna’s Pasta & Pizzeria
Light Baked Filo Stuffed with Organic Mushrooms and topped with Black olives and Persil Green Salsa
Old Swiss Inn
1. Trio of Mushroom Roll with Petit Salad
2. Gratinated Eggplant & Mushroom Pesto
Mushroom Pancetta & Cheese Flat Bread
Crispy Fried Salt and Peppers Mushrooms
Pi Burgers and Pies
Sausage, liver, mushroom savory pie with mango glaze
Ping Gu Mushroom Fries Ping Gu Fries
Pink Panda Mushroom and Taro Balls
Mushroom and Corn Soup with Dahon ng Sili Pipino BBQ Mushroom Kebabs with Cauli Rice
Plaza Café Garlicky Mushroom Toast with Oyster and Shi
Surf & Turf Paella, paella with cuttlefish, butifarra and shiitake mushroom
Truffled Risotto of Fresh Oyster Mushroom, Porcinis, Rocket and Parmesan
Seven Suites Dehydrated and toasted oyster mushroom in cheddar quinoa canape w/ kesong puti & basil drizzled with lemon vinaigrette
1. Creamy Wild Mushroom Soup with parmesan foam and Prosciutto Crisps (local Shitake, oyster, mushrooms and portobello)
2. Caramelized Portobello and Shitake Mushroom tart with ricotta cheese and truffled asparagus.
Toasted Ravioli stuffed with Shitake Mushrooms, Cashew Ricotta, and Spinach. 100% Vegan and Gluten-Free
The Blackboard Blackboard
1. Homemade Spinach Fettuccine tossed with Fresh Oyster, Milky and Shiitake Mushrooms in a light Tomato Cream Blackboard
2. Fresh homemade Raviolis with a Trio of Mushrooms in a Shiitake Cream
The Sexy Chef
Mushroom Pocket, pizza bread, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and mozzarella cheese. Served with a side of ranch!
Wildflour Ham, Eggs, and Mushrooms on Toast
Bak Chor Mee