- SPIT (Silly People Improv Theater) Manila led by Gabe Mercado;
- LA-based American veteran improvisers Shaun Landry and Tom Farnan;
- International improv groups from Beijing, Hong Kong, Xiamen, and Taichung; and
- Performing Arts Kolektib (PAK) from Cebu; and
- Kinengkoy Comedy Express from Bacolod.
For me, SPIT Manila’s improv set was the best, and my favorite was the improv story entitled “Discombobulated Boracay”. Here’s why I fell in love with SPIT Manila’s Improv Comedy…
CLEAN COMEDY. I like Improv Comedy because it is not slapstick and does not attempt to make fun of the audience–instead, the performers make fun of themselves. (Although, sometimes, there are hints of green humor.)
INTERACTIVE. They say 50% of the success of an Improv Comedy is the wittiness of the audience in giving unique topics for the improv games or giving clever song lines that they would pick at random to use as part of their dialogue.
THE ORACLE. One of SPIT Manila’s signature improv sets is the Oracle, who answers any question about the future from the audience . Each persona of the Oracle answers with one word, one after another, in a quick, sequential, non-scripted fashion to complete the improvised prediction.
Here’s an example…
Video Link: The Couple
Here’s what happened…
Video Link: Discombobulated Boracay by SPIT Manila
Here’s the schedule:
- June 28, Thursday, 9pm: Opening Night (Taichung Improv, Xiamen Improv, SPIT)
- June 29, Friday, 9pm: Comedy Smackdown (Kinengkoy Comedy Express, People’s Liberation Improv, Beijing Improv, Farnan and Landry)
- June 30, Saturday, 7pm: Experimental & Long Form Improv
- July 1, Sunday, 2pm: International Improv Jam (featuring all festival delegates)
TIP: If you miss this weekend’s festival, you can always catch SPIT Manila’s Improv performances every Thursday night in Quantum Cafe.
Long Live Improv Comedy in Manila!
Live an Awesome Life,
Follow @antondiaz on Twitter for the latest update on food and travel secrets. 🙂
Like our Official Facebook Page: Our Awesome Planet 🙂
Follow antondiaz on Pinterest for the latest awesome food and travel photos! 🙂
If you have tips on awesome food and travel destinations, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for following and supporting Our Awesome Planet!
Full Disclosure: We watched the Manila Improv Festival courtesy of our SPIT Manila friend Chal Chang Lontoc and HaHappy Ferraren. 🙂
P.S. Don’t miss the yummy pizza of Quantum Cafe while watching the improv comedy: