Read First: [OAP SURVEY] Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt?
Out of 2,111 foodie respondents, 66.1% prefer Frozen Yogurt over Ice Cream, with 76% of the Yogurt lovers opting to have healthy toppings like fresh fruits, granola or cereals with their frozen treat. On the other hand, Ice Cream lovers favor the premium, creamy type of ice cream, and 54% of them choose to savor the flavor of ice cream on its own.
Thanks to all the people who participated in the March-June 2010 survey on the battle between Ice Cream vs. Frozen Yogurt! 🙂 Here is the summary of the survey with qualitative results on Why Foodies Love Yogurt or Ice Cream…
OAP SURVEY: Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt Overall Results
66.1% of Filipino Foodies love Frozen Yogurt with 73.0% with toppings and 27.0% without toppings.
33.9% of Filipino Foodies love Ice Cream with 45.7% with toppings and 54.3% without toppings.
Why Frozen Yogurt (66.1%)?
“guilt-free dessert; you don’t get that ‘i’m so full’ feeling.”
– It is a Healthier Choice
– Less sweet, Less calories, Less guilt and Less fat, and Less sinful 🙂
– It has probiotic, stomach-friendly enzymes, good for lactose intolerant
– Guiltless Indulgence – you can eat more of it without getting sick of eating too much sweets
– Foodies love the sweet, sour, and tangy taste
– It has a lighter refreshing taste
Why Toppings (73%) or No Toppings (27%)?
“I like my yoghurts with fruits. Yoghurt + fruits = healthy, happy life!”
– toppings make the food more interesting, in terms of presentation and taste
– It’s more exciting; and the toppings serve as the sweet factor which the yoghurt pleasantly lacks.
– I like variations in texture and flavor i.e. you get something crunchy, something gooey, something sweet, something tangy all in a playful progression.
– Initially, i’d put toppings but now naked froyo is the way to go!
– better with fresh strawberries, 2x healthy, love fresh fruits and cereals, healthy options
– As they say, why be plain when you can be crunchy? 🙂 Fruits are healthy and yummy!
– Homemade granola and fresh fruits are the best!
– I love personalizing my order, discovering new textures and interesting flavor combinations. 🙂
Why Ice Cream (33.9%)?
“I always keep the child in me, and having a cup full of ice cream brings back the memories of my colorful childhood just like the toppings of it”
– Nostalgic – It makes you feel like a child over and over again!
– Overall creamier taste – Tastes better, it’s creamier, and melts slower.
– More Variety – Ice cream comes in a much wider variety of flavors, and there’s a lot more you can do with it in desserts.
– Comfort Food – love the way the fat in ice cream coats the tongue. pure comfort.
– It’s more rich and satisfying
– Don’t like Yogurt because of the sour taste, high uric acid content
– I find “Frozen” yogurt a fake. Frozen yogurt = panis na ice cream!
– I like Italian-style Gelato. Because it’s artisanal ice cream that relies on high-quality ingredients. It’s creamy because of production technique and not because of added cream.
Why Toppings (45.7%) or No Toppings (54.3%)?
“I like my ice cream plain to appreciate the flavor”
– I like chunky ice creams so there’s no need for toppings
– Toppings are “dirty”. Why spoil the ice cream or frozen yogurt as concocted? Most ice creams and frozen yogurts have “intruders” already, like bits/chunks of fruit like strawberry, etc., or cheese, or nuts, or what-have-you.
– I like customizing my food and drinks. I like taking a certain flavor and adding complementary toppings to it. Although, there are times I like my ice cream just on its own, without toppings, especially if it already has many things inside it.
– The toppings often enhance the flavor of ice cream and the consequent textures in the mouth.
– Good ice cream doesn’t need toppings
Personally, I do agree with the fro-yo crowd. I love Frozen Yogurt with Fresh Fruit Toppings! My favorites are Red Mango and Frozen Kefir. 🙂
Feel free to share your faves in the comments section!
Live an Awesome Life,
Call or Text Me: +63917 5683-627 (LOVE-OAP)
Follow Me FacebookTwitterFlickrYoutube
P.S. Let me know if you have survey ideas that we can do on an ongoing basis in OAP. We can also work with certain brands if they want to get some insight from Foodies. 🙂
15 thoughts on “Ice Cream vs. Yogurt – And the winner is…”
I like yogurt too, but its just uso lang yan ngayon, nothing beats ice cream, dont tell me mas masarap yogurt kaysa hagen daz milk choco….
i dont think it only because it’s uso. it’s more because it’s a healthier alternative than what we’re used to. there’s no guilt feeling, like when your jeans no longer fit and you blame all the fats and sweets you’ve been eating and the desserts like ice cream. it’s also the tart/sweet duo in yogurt that makes it stand out.
yogurt mania na! now CBTL has their own yogurts too. i still prefer the classic one from UPLB, P35/200grams. i won’t be surprised if fastfoods offer yogurts in the future
yogurt is way better and way more expensive too! hahaha
Golden Spoon chocolate chip cookie dough is the best! 🙂 Hope you’ll make a review about that, Anton. More power!
I love FROYO!!! Mainly because its color PINK in your article’s Photo!
and yes.. GOLDEN SPOON is the best for me too! =) wow you haven’t posted a review for Golden Spoon yet? haha I’ll try to beat you to that…
I wasn’t able to take photos from our last visit since the one in Greenhills is just a kiosk with no Tables to around..
Im giving this yogurt thing 6 more months before laos na, like I said nothing beats a high quality ice cream.
“Ice cream comes in a much wider variety of flavors, and there’s a lot more you can do with it in desserts.”
I believe that was my comment in the survey and I stand by every word of it.
I remember Magnolia Ice Cream coming out with its line of frozen yogurt more than a decade ago, but if I’m not mistaken it was gone from the market less than a year later. Same with Better Than Ice Cream (BTIC) which used to have scooping stations in just about any mall less than a decade ago, but now you’re hard put to find one. Let’s face it – OAP readers who participated in this survey are arguably mostly foodies who swear by their meticulous yet adventurous palates, and undoubtedly fro-yo easily fits the bill as a food item that is favored by this segment. Don’t get me wrong though – I love me some fro-yo (personal faves are Red Mango and Qoola). Still and all, nothing beats the all-time appeal of ice cream (calories be damned) to the majority which was hardly tapped by this survey.
Ever since my first cup of frozen yogurt (from White Hat, I think), I’ve officially replaced ice cream as my cold comfort 🙂
I like yogurt better because it makes way for a great joke “Qu: What is the difference between an American and Yogurt? Ans: At least if you leave yogurt long enough it will grow a Culture!”
i also like yogurt because because ice cream is normally too sweet. plus, healthier pa. when i eat ice cream, i can almost hear myself getting fat. haha.
and ang saya pa mag-isip ng ilalagay na toppings sa yogurt! :p
I totally agree.. I loved yogurt ever since.. It’s more fun to eat it now because it is soft served, just like ice cream.. I still love the original flavor among all the flavors available..
our family adores ice cream but yogurt is worth the try… we have to shift to a healthier alternative! =D
When in Cebu try YOGORINO yoghurt in Robinson’s Cybergate. ‘Seems your a choco lover so try it with their original italian chocolate syrup and tell me if that is not the best yoghurt you’ll ever taste….
Frozen kefir!! I haven’t even tried regular kefir.